JOB TITLE: Legal Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Criminal/Family Law
REPORTS TO: Stephen Leal
PAY RANGE: $21-$23 hourly
The individual will be responsible for managing administrative activities for attorneys and paralegal, including scheduling hearings, drafting correspondences, maintaining court dockets, preparing legal documents and correspondences and maintaining case files.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate all legal scheduling for the attorneys including but not limited to Hearing, Depositions, Mediation, Arbitration, client meetings and meetings with Opposing Counsel.
- Maintain and manage the calendar to include all (including trial) deadlines in accordance with the local rules, reminders and events.
- Maintain the trial schedule up to date and calendaring all trial deadlines accordingly.
- Maintain all legal files up-to-date including the operative binders for the attorneys.
- Receiving and scanning all incoming legal documents.
- Manage the creation of all legal files.
- Manages the initial case e-filing process.
- E-files pleadings with the court’s e-filing portal system (Federal and State).
- Transcribe any office dictation in a timely manner.
- Drafts simple pleadings, discovery shells, correspondences and/or documents as needed by the attorneys and paralegal.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
- Design: Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and Resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyses information skillfully.
- Oral Communication: Listens and gets clarification; responds to discrepancies by communicating in a timely manner to the attorneys or paralegal with issues and possible resolutions; communicate clearly and effectively so as to include all facts and information; responds well to questions and delegation.
- Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; contributes to building a positive team.
- Professionalism: Accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Attendance/Punctuality: Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability: Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
- Individual should have at least 1 year experience as a legal assistant
- Individual should have experience in Criminal Law and Family Law
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of internet software, spreadsheets software and word processing software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and preferably Trialworks
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
After a 60 day waiting period, employees are eligible for:
-Health Insurance-We have 4 plans available with Florida Blue (1 plan is fully paid by company).
-Dental Insurance-2 plans available with Metlife (1 plan is fully paid by company)
-Vision Insurance through Metlife
-Basic and Voluntary Life with Unum (Basic Life is fully paid by company)
-Short Term and Long Term disability with Unum (Fully paid by the company)
-Accident and Critical Illness through Unum
-HSA and FSA plans available
-We have Transit and Parking with Tasc (both paid by the company)
-PTO available upon hire. PTO is accrued on a monthly basis. 1st year employees receive 11 accrued days, after 3 years of employment you receive 12 PTO accrued days and after 5 years of employment, employee receives 15 accrued PTO days.
-401K (after 1 year of full time employment) The details are as follows:
Matching Rate: 100.00%
Matching Cap: 3.00%
Match Period: the Plan Year
Your employer will also match your contributions at a rate equal to the Secondary Matching Rate for deferrals from the Matching Minimum to the Matching Cap.
Secondary Matching Rate: 50.00%
Matching Minimum: 3.00%
Matching Cap: 5.00%